CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Love You Grandma!


I love my Grandma. I know you all do, but I just had to tell you a little about her. She just got home from the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and is adjusting to life with some help. She is 92 years old and has been living on her own for 30+ years! I think she just stopped mowing her own lawn just a few short years ago.

Anyway, she has had some health problems as of late, and it's been very tough. I not only have been feeling my age, but also that our Grandparents...and she's only 1 of 3 I have left, are getting older too. I know that all of this is part of life, but it sure is sad and hard.

I just wanted to tell you what a strong woman she is. Her husband died when she was not too much older than I am now. She raised her two sons, one of which is my dad, and the other my Uncle. She used to come to our house every week and clean, do all our laundry, and change all of our beds. So, yes I was a spoiled little kid. I can't believe I ever whined about doing chores! Except, my parents did make us pick up dog poo...which for 3 American Bulldogs, my allowance should have been like $100! ;)

She is a total blessing to me. We have rarely missed a Thanksgiving at her house. Now that I have kids, and cousins have some kids...it's pretty interesting. Thanks to my Aunt and Uncle who every year force a "new and interesting" present upon my Grandma. One year was a toaster oven, new chair, VCR, cable, and now this year a DVD player. My Grandma never really wanted any of it, but I tell ya, it makes life a little easier! Because of my Grandma, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I just know I will cry so hard when the torch gets passed.

As we got older, and moved away, she still made it a point to come up and see us here in Portland. As it's gotten harder for her to travel, we need to make a concerted effort to go to her. She has done so much for us, and it's a sad thing that you never show appreciation until you've hit some semblance of maturity...which for me took a bit! But, I am so grateful, so blessed, and so in awe of the strength that she exudes.

I love you Grandma, Great-Grandma, and now a Great-Great Grandma! My life would not be what it is without your love, at 13 tough, now at 30 gentle and sweet. You mean the world to me. I can't wait to see you soon.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Laura,

Are you going to mail your sweet Grandma a copy of this?
Or maybe she's tech savvy for all I know and has a PC....
Just make sure she reads your sweet, encouraging words.

I loved reading this. I know it will bless her.

Also, you are a perfect mixture of sweet and tough :)
Would that make you medium rare in the beef world?
I thought I'd throw in a meat reference because of your Easter post.

Much love to you!!!

The Biles said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. That is so sweet. And I agree with Laura, you totally need to send it to her!