CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 13, 2008

I Did It!


I took Mary Lou's advice, and made my own laundry soap! It was super easy...here's the recipe:

The Recipe

Homemade Laundry Soap

The Ingredients:

1/3 Bar of soap. I used Fels Naptha (Fred Meyer laundry isle)

1/2 cup Washing Soda (also found at Freddies)

1/2 Borax (20 Mule Team also at Freddies)

Instructions:

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above

½ cup washing soda

½ cup borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

**The cost of making the above recipe of laundry soap was .71 cents. That was amazing to me! With this 2 gallon size recipe you will have enough to do 64 loads of laundry. That translates to about .01 cent a load.** (credit to thefamilyhomestead.com)



I will be sure and let you know if the clothes actually get clean. That's the true test. If my family all of a sudden starts stinking, please do not hesitate to tell me, as I will be switching back to the good ol' store brand! ;) Also, this is a low sudsing soap for all of you who like me have an HE machine.

5 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Laura, I will be very interested in learning how your experience went with this soap. I am still have too much from Costco to go through before I can try this myself. I don't want to waste what I have before I try something else.

Suzanne said...

GREAT Laura! Please post on your results. i can't believe how cheaply you made that.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marion Acres said...

Wow! That is amazing, I'll have to try it! :)

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about trying this for a few months, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how "sensitive" it is- Matt had a terrible reaction to laundry soap when we were first married and I don't want to repeat THAT experience again! And now with the new one... who knows whose skin he has! Do let us know how it turned out!